The successor of the Spitfire Mk. V is the Mk. VIII. The Spitfire Mk. VIII was developed with improved features such as an enlarged rudder, Merlin 60 engine, shortened ailerons, a retractable tail landing gear, and fuel tanks on the edges of the wings. These new features were incorporated into later Spitfire variants. The plane was first used in service in the summer of 1943. Primarily, the Mk. VIII was used on fronts in the Mediterranean and the Pacific, as well as in battles against the Luftwaffe and Italian air forces in North Africa and Italy. The Mk. III also proved itself in battles against the Japanese Zero in China, Burma, Indian and Australia. The Mk. VIII's successes lead it to be the foundation for later Spitfire aircraft.
- 1/32 scale plastic assembly model kit of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VIII.
- The model features a detailed riveted surface.
- The retractable tail landing gear, shortened ailerons, and fuel tank positioning which are famous features of the Mk.VIII Spitfire are accurately modeled.
- Parts to depict the extended wingtips of the Mk.VIII early production model are included.
- The wing with its two 20mm cannons and four 7.7mm machine guns is faithfully re-produced.
- You can choose to depict your model with the main landing gear in either stowed or deployed position. Parts with built-in magnets also allow you to depict the tail landing gear in either stowed or deployed state.
- Display stand to depict the Mk.VIII in flight included.
- The details of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine including oil tanks, and supercharger have been faithfully modeled. Engine cowlings are removable.
- Movable elevators, rudder, and ailerons. Flaps can be depicted in up or down position.
- Parts to depict 30 gallon and 90 gallon fuel drops tanks included.
- One seated and one standing pilot figure included.
- Markings to depict the Mk.VIII flown by the U.S. air force, RAAF, and Canadian air force included (Total 3.). Canopy masking stickers included.