The 40mm Bofors L/60 light anti-aircraft automatic gun was developed by Bofors of Sweden initially for Naval use and used extensively by many Navies during and long after WWII. It was adopted by the British Army in 1938 and by the U.S. Army in 1941 as the M1/M2 and was also used extensively by other nations including Germany who captured many during the Polish and French campaigns.
The Bofors was also used extensively buy other Allied Armies most notably Canada who produced the majority of WWII guns as well as by the Australian Army and just about every Allied country involved in WWII for that matter.
Originally mounted on a four wheel trailer, later versions were on a two wheel trailer for airborne use as well as self propelled versions as local modifications (North Africa for example) and purpose built vehicles such as the Crusader AA.
After WWII the Bofors was further developed as the L/70 and used by many nations as both Naval and Army types right up to present day with the 40mm Bofors being one of the longest serving artillery weapons produced.