The Kubelwagen Type 82 featured a simple, utilitarian design. Its trustworthy powerplant consisted of a 4-cylinder, horizontally opposed, air-cooled engine, capable of 23.5hp at 3000rpm. Its displacement was 985cc and provided a top speed of 80km/h. In March of 1943, the power of the engine was increased to 25.5hp. The engine was reliable and easy to maintain, which proved to be a boon in both the broiling North African theater and frigid Eastern European Front. The chassis consisted of a semi-tubular backbone, to which the front and rear axles attach. Above that, a pressed steel floor, ribbed for rigidity, formed the base of the base of the cab. All wheels were independently sprung and torsion rods were used instead of the common leaf springs. The body was also simple and lightweight, consisting of thin iron stampings. Although most Kubelwagens were equipped with only rear and wheel drive, because they weighed a mere 700kg, they displayed excellent cross-country capability, and could be lifted out of trouble by only two or three soldiers.|
Because of its reliability and ease of repair, and since its engine did not require a coolant, the Kubelwagen proved particularly effective in North Africa. At the request of various divisions in North Africa for a vehicle suitable for the desert, a Continental balloon tire equipped version went into production from 1942. Two types of balloon tires, a grooved and an ungrooved version were used. Because the tires were wider than normal tires, a spacer to raise the height of a spare tire attachment was added to the hood of the car. Some of the balloon tire equipped Type 82 were even used in Italy after the fighting in North Africa stopped in May of 1943.
About the model
- 1/16 scale plastic model construction kit
- Overall length: 238mm, overall width: 103mm, overall height: 93mm
- Precisely replicated balloon tire equipped Kubelwagen Type 82 - Africa version Instrument panel, seats and 4-wheel independent suspension system are also reproduced realistically.
- All the doors and engine room cover can be modeled in either open or closed position.
- The engine room shows mechanical equipment including air cleaner, 4 cylinder horizontally opposed air cooled engine and repair tools
- Balloon tires are of semi-pneumatic rubber and front wheels are steerable.
- Includes accessories such as jerry cans and canteen for drinking water, Rommel figure and a driver figure.